xserver-xorg-input-joystick suggestions/questions

Stephen Paul Weber singpolyma at singpolyma.net
Sun Aug 3 16:52:37 PDT 2008

I want to change the xserver-xorg-input-joystick module so that the
joystick/gamepad can be remapped on-the-fly while X is running.  This
could be very useful for running multiple different games, some of
which support joystick, some of which support mouse, some of which
want keybindings for everything.

I read through most of the code on the module, and around line 593 on
the source that I had in jstk.c I saw where all of the parsing of
mappings from xorg.conf happens.  It seems to me that some sort of IPC
listener could be kicked off at that point that would remap the
settings when it received certain signals.  I suggested to a friend of
mine that a Unix socket could work and he suggested I should write
this list to see if there are better sorts of IPC that could be used
that Xorg has built in.  Basically I want to be able to run some
command line program or script that sends a signal to the module to
change mappings before launching a game and then again when the game
quits.

--
Stephen Paul Weber, @singpolyma
Please see <http://singpolyma.net> for how I prefer to be contacted.