Several patches for the siliconmotion driver

Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Tue Aug 12 15:09:20 PDT 2008

Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade
> <pcpa at mandriva.com.br> wrote:
>> currojerez at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  Do you have any smi contact?
>>

> I had some smi contacts in the past.
>
>>  (I don't have contacts, just did some help for an OEM...)
>>
>>  I have a copy of code from siliconmotion for driver versions 2.2.1 and
>> 2.2.5
>> (xorg version is tagged 1.6.0), and I believe it should be merged/added
>> to Xorg
>> source tree.
>
> Their tree split from xorg/xf86 quite a while back IIRC.  Lots of
> stuff was changed and added to the xorg version (dualhead, exa) since
> then.  Their versions and the xorg versions don't have much
> significance anymore.  I also broke out the sm501 code into a separate
> driver ages ago:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/xf86-video-smi501/

  Thanks Alex,

  I made some tests, using your driver, and xorg driver, but neither
did work. After that, I borrowed some changes changes from the
siliconmotion 2.2.5 sources to your smi501 sources (as this is the
hardware I can test), and almost got it to work (added 1024x600 mode
support, but I think it is required to add some extra PLL programming)
to get it right; at least with these minor changes it doesn't stay in
a black window anymore...

  Anyway, I think it should be merged to a common source, probably
by siliconmotion engineers, or at least someone that has knowledge
and access to all the hardware variants.

> Alex
>
>>  Adding to CC the guys from Mandriva that should have smi contacts, so that
>> hopefully the driver can be updated in Xorg, and also with your patches
>> integrated.

Paulo