[intel] First SDVOB output reported failure to sync

Randolph Chung randolph at tausq.org
Fri Aug 15 07:39:18 PDT 2008

I'm trying to run X on an Asus EEE Box. The graphics hw is reported by lspci as
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME
Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

I'm getting  an error "First SDVOB output reported failure to sync"
when I try to start X. The box has a DVI-I connector in the back, I'm
connecting it using an adapter to the VGA input of a TV.

I first tried driver version 2.2.1, which gave a similar error (though
I seem to remember it only said SDVO instead of SDVOB)

Here's the Xorg.log.0 with 1.4.0. I'm using an empty xorg.conf.  From
the code I see that this error can come from two places. By adding
some prints to the source I've identified that the error is coming
from the print in the i830_sdvo_dpms() function.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

thanks
randolph

This is a pre-release version of the X server from The X.Org Foundation.
It is not supported in any way.
Bugs may be filed in the bugzilla at http://bugs.freedesktop.org/.
Select the "xorg" product for bugs you find in this release.
Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions please check the
latest version in the X.Org Foundation git repository.
See http://wiki.x.org/wiki/GitPage for git access instructions.

X.Org X Server 1.4.99.906 (1.5.0 RC 6)
Release Date:
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-15-server i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux pippin 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Fri
Jul 11 23:41:49 UTC 2008 i686
Build Date: 06 August 2008  11:15:32AM
xorg-server 2:1.4.99.906-1ubuntu3 (buildd at rothera.buildd)
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Aug 15 22:32:07 2008
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) intel(0): First SDVOB output reported failure to sync
expected keysym, got XF86KbdLightOnOff: line 70 of pc
expected keysym, got XF86KbdBrightnessDown: line 71 of pc
expected keysym, got XF86KbdBrightnessUp: line 72 of pc
(EE) intel(0): First SDVOB output reported failure to sync

waiting for X server to shut down (EE) intel(0): First SDVOB output
reported failure to sync