monitoring the contents of the screen -- bug#14648

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Aug 16 21:00:38 PDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 20:18 -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

> To clarify -- are you asking for an example of code that *uses*
> Damage, so you can see whether I'm asking for something sensible, or
> an example of implementing what I want inside Damage itself?  And re:
> extending the semantics, basically what you're suggesting is to
> preserve backwards compatibility by adding a new DamageReportLevel
> like DamageReportDeltaRectanglesExceptNotBroken (except presumably
> with a more, umm, politic, name)?

At the least, a precise specification of the desired behaviour, at the
best, code that implements both server and useful client using the new
behaviour. Leaving the current semantics untouched means we don't have
to worry about compatibility though, even if the current mechanism are
horribly broken.

And, I'm not worried about impolitic usage here. The current
specification and implementation must both stand on their merits, if
they have none, we should rewrite the spec to guide developers towards
more useful designs.

keith.packard at intel.com