A freetype font mystery

Seb James seb at esfnet.co.uk
Mon Aug 18 14:55:44 PDT 2008

Hi List,

I've been moving from a rather old version of X on a thin client device
we sell to something more up to date.

Having moved my dev system to an Xorg pulled from the git repository,
I'm seeing some odd features in the font rendering and I was hoping
someone could suggest what is up.

Here is an example image of a program showing the problem:

http://wmltd.co.uk/images/font_problem_new_xorg.png

I've marked with red dots all the locations where the glyphs are
mis-rendered.

It looks like gtk+ is making too little room for the glyphs.

How does gtk+ know how big the font is?

I've tested this with gtk+-2.4.4 (the old version we used) and gtk
+-2.8.13 and gtk+-2.12.10 (which is the one shown in the image).

In each case, fontconfig was pulled from the xorg git repo and freetype
was version 2.3.7.

Can anyone suggest where I should chase this problem? I'm at a loss on
my own.

very best regards,

Seb James

Appendix: Output of fc-list on the system:

LucidaBright:style=Italic
Utopia:style=Bold Italic
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:style=Bold
LucidaTypewriter:style=Sans Bold
Bitstream Vera Sans:style=Oblique
Times:style=Bold Italic
Utopia:style=Bold
Bitstream Vera Sans:style=Roman
Charter:style=Bold Italic
Courier:style=Regular
Charter:style=Bold
Helvetica:style=Oblique
LucidaBright:style=Regular
Terminal:style=Bold
Fixed:style=SemiCondensed
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:style=Oblique
Times:style=Bold
Charter:style=Italic
Courier:style=Oblique
Times:style=Italic
Lucida:style=Sans Bold
Bitstream Vera Sans:style=Bold
LucidaTypewriter:style=Sans
New Century Schoolbook:style=Bold
Utopia:style=Italic
Courier:style=Bold Oblique
Lucida:style=Sans Italic
Bitstream Vera Serif:style=Roman
Lucida:style=Sans
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:style=Bold Oblique
Bitstream Vera Sans:style=Bold Oblique
Helvetica:style=Bold
Times:style=Regular
New Century Schoolbook:style=Bold Italic
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:style=Roman
Lucida:style=Sans Bold Italic
Helvetica:style=Regular
cursor.pcf:style=Regular