wmIsRunning bit in the server

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at freedesktop.org
Mon Aug 25 11:29:31 PDT 2008

How can I query from within the server if a WM is running on the
server?  I have a thread on the server that needs to wait until
xinitrc has "finished" (ie, the window-manager is running) before it
should continue.  I know that if you try to run a second WM on a
server with one already, it will fail, so this leads me to believe
that there are bits in the server itself which I can query to figure
this out.  I grepped a bit looking for something but couldn't find
it.  Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Jeremy