possible problem in xf86_video_siliconmotion ?

Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Thu Aug 28 11:37:24 PDT 2008

Chuck Robey wrote:
>>  I am working on a merge of the xorg driver with Alex Deucher's 501
>> repository and code from smi. Still getting it to work, after that
>> I plan to make separate commits (right now over 6k lines diffs)
>
> Paulo, my inability to get git to work for me is making me unable to really say
> whether problems I find are real, or just something that my git is gifting me
> with.  Now that I know it's wrong, do you know the URL for the bugs, so I can
> mail in the tiny patch this needs?  I assume that this list is very much the
> wrong place to put it, I just wanted to verify it's not my git faking me out.

  Probably you will want to open a bug report at
https://bugs.freedesktop.org

  But posting to this list is also ok. But not always the best option for
packages that don't have an active maintainer, etc. I don't maintain the
siliconmotion driver, just that I am working on it currently...

> Another one I just found, in the xserver, the reason I couldn't get my options
> to work is because I think I found a fairly big bug in one of the main option
> functions.  In hw/xfree86/common/xf86Option.c, function xf86CollectInputOptions,
> the 3rd parameter is named extraOpts, but it's not used at all in the function
> (seems to be an oversight), even though the comment advertises it.  If you agree
> it's busted, I'll make up a patch and send it (also to the URL I asked for
> above).  It's a pretty straightforward thing that probably breaks a huge number
> of drivers, if git isn't laughing at me again.

  There is a local variable called extras, that is assigned the value of the
extraOpts argument, and them, there is a tmp local variable, that is
assigned
a copy of extra, that is merged in the pScrn->options, so I think that
is not
a bug :-)

> Damn I wish you folks used cvs or svn ... I assume that unified diffs (my
> favorite) are acceptable?

  It is better if you send patches in git format, but if they are simple,
one can edit the patch to make it in the format expected by git-am...

Paulo