Hook/intercept drawing function calls in xserver

Hongmin Fan hongmin.fan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 09:16:08 PDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I am trying to implement something like Maxivista (http://www.maxivista.com/)
with X. Basically, it enables a computer to use another computer's monitor
as its own extended monitor.

My thought is hook/intercept the drawing functions, and draw the objects
that are out of the main monitor on the second one through the other
computer's xserver. So I am wondering if there is a way to hook/intercept
the drawing requests.

It seems a proxy x server requires the user starts the proxy x server first
before running any x client application if I want process all the drawing
request. Since transparency to the users is a good design, I want to avoid
using proxy x server if possible. Thank you!

Best,
Hongmin