No Cursor Movement in X: Slackware-12.1

Magnus Kessler Magnus.Kessler at gmx.net
Tue Dec 2 06:46:50 PST 2008

On Tuesday 02 December 2008, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    If this is not the appropriate list to ask for help, please point me
> to the proper place. I may not have e-mail access during my business trip
> this week unless a text browser will allow me to connect to the hotel's
> server.
>
>    I just upgraded my Sony Vaio PCG-V505BC from Slackware-12.0 to -12.1
> and now the cursor won't move when I start X. Neither the touchpad nor an
> external USB mouse will move it. However, both the touchpad and an
> external mouse work on the console with gpm running.
>
>    The required driver is psmouse, but xorg.conf must have something
> incorrect (or missing) since it no longer works. Here is the file:
>
> # Copyright (C) 1999-2003 Lincoln D. Durey <www.EmperorLinux.com> GNU-GPL
> # BlackPerl V505BC XGA XF86Config  ATI Radeon M6 X-4.3.0  1024x768x24bpp
> LCD # USB mouse enabled in the kernel, won't fail if USB support is not
> present.

[snip]

> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier "keyboard0"
>     Driver "kbd"
>     Option "AutoRepeat" "250 30"
>     Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier "Mouse0"
>     Driver "mouse"
>     Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
>     Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
>     Option "Emulate3Buttons"
>     Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
>     Option "AlwaysCore"
>     Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier "USBMouse0"
>     Driver "mouse"
>     Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>     Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>     Option "AlwaysCore"
>     Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>     Option "Emulate3Buttons"
>     Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
> EndSection

[snip]

>    I've been trying to get this to work for two days now and would
> greatly appreciate any and all help. I need the notebook for a business
> trip this week and not being able to run X applications will be a major
> hinderance.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rich

Hi Rich,

I'm not quite sure which version of xorg is shipped with slackware 12.1.
Assuming it's a recent one, can you try if you get better success with no
xorg.conf file at all or with an xorg.conf file that doesn't contain any
InputDevice sections? Make sure that you have the xf86-input-evdev driver
installed. If you want full touchpad support (evdev gives basic support)
please install xf86-input-synaptics as well.

You might want to install and activate hal/dbus (assuming that support for
this is built into the slackware packages). Your distro should provide you
with some .fdi files that take care of setting up the correct drivers and
defaults through hal.

HTH,

Magnus