Broken X11 After Mandriva Upgrade

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 16:39:19 PST 2008

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 2:12 PM, - gw1500se <awingnut at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I had to rebuild the RPM database since I got an error trying the uninstall.
> Then when I did the uninstall it said that driver was not installed. So I
> proceeded to install the suggested version. The install seemed to work fine.
> Unfortunately, nothing has changed. When I 'startx', I get the following:
>
> X Window System Version 1.3.0
> Release Date: 19 April 2007
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3
> Build Operating System: Linux_2.6.24.5-server-2mnb Mandriva
> Current Operating System: Linux dap002 2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv #1 SMP Thu Sep
> 27 04:07:04 CEST 2007 i686
> Build Date: 07 August 2008
>         Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
>         to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Module Loader present
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
>         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
>         (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Dec  6 17:02:06 2008
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
> Using vt 7
> (II) Module already built-in
> (II) Module already built-in
> xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  Cannot register with
> ConsoleKit: org.freedesktop.CkConnector.Error: Unable to open session:
> Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or
> directory
> SetClientVersion: 0 9
> SetGrabKeysState - disabled
>
> At this stage, X is running but I cannot start any sessions. It appears to
> me that what ever process creates that socket is not installed or is not
> running. I also question the line that says "Using vt 7" rather then saying
> something about 'i810'. My xorg.conf has the driver set to 'i810'.

The socket, in this case, is the dbus system socket used to register
the session with ConsoleKit. Probably, you don't have dbus running,
but that shouldn't matter here. Things like HAL talk to ConsoleKit,
but this doesn't matter for just running a regular X session.

The "Using vt 7" message just means that the server is running on
virtual terminal 7. I.e., tty7. You'll have to look further in the log
file to see what video driver was actually loaded.

--
Dan