Trying to use Radeon driver on Apple eMac

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 15:22:15 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Joseph Adams <joeyadams3.14159 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm struggling to get the Radeon driver to work on my eMac G4's Radeon
> 7500 card (the fbdev driver works fine at 1024x768 with no
> acceleration).  On both Fedora 8 and Fedora 10 with default xorg.conf,
> the screen is blank (the CRT doesn't glow or anything).  I have a CRT
> monitor that supports up to 1280x960.  The eMac also has a video out
> port.  I suspect that video may show up on an external monitor, but I
> can't test that until my adapter arrives.

Mac cards don't have a connector table and are always wired up
strangely.  We'll probably need to add a custom connector table for
your card as it's currently falling back to the default which is
probably wrong for your card.  Can you send me the output of
/proc/cpuinfo?
Try the following option and let me know which combinations work:
Option "ConnectorTable" "i,1,0,1,j,2,0,1"
where i and j are one of the following:
96, 100, 104, or 108
and i != j.
i and j specify the gpio line used for ddc, so when you get the right
combination, you should see the driver picking up an edid if your
monitor supports it.  If the built in monitor doesn't supply an edid,
we'll have to add a quirk for that as well.

Alex