Get raw data of Xrender Picture structure

Gregoire Gentil gregoire at gentil.com
Mon Dec 8 20:16:14 PST 2008

Thanks for all your answers. I appreciate. Unfortunately, so far, I
didn't get anything working:

- I was thinking of gdk_pixbuf_xlib_get_from_drawable but same story:
"If the specified drawable is a window, then it must be viewable, i.e.
all of its ancestors up to the root window must be mapped."

- I tried XGetImage:

XImage * x;
x = XGetImage(GDK_DISPLAY(), netk_window_get_xid(window), 0, 0, width,
height, AllPlanes, ZPixmap);
pixbuf = gdk_pixbuf_new_from_data(x->data, GDK_COLORSPACE_RGB, False, 8,
width, height, x->bytes_per_line, NULL, NULL);

but I receive an xserver error "The error was 'BadMatch (invalid
parameter attributes)'." when the window is partially hidden or
minimized. Note that it's working when the window is fully visible.

- So, at this point, I consider more patching/hacking the
window/compositing manager xfwm4 to add a screenshot when the window is
about to be umapped. Patching something like "no more unmap" seems
overkill for what I want to achieve.

Let me know if you have any other comment or idea,

Grégoire