Xorg and specific signal PC

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 04:31:31 PST 2008

2008/12/9 Revolver Onslaught <revolver.onslaught at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Beso <givemesugarr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2008/12/9 Revolver Onslaught <revolver.onslaught at gmail.com>:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I recently purchased an FullHD 100Hz TV (Samsung LE40F86BDX) and a
>>> Nvidia GeForce9500 with HDMI output.
>>> This way, I can link my Linux on my TV.
>>>
>>> However, I cannot switch to 100Hz when the PC is linked to the TV
>>> (HDMI or VGA). I supposed it was a security but I was wrong : any of
>>> the 1080p FullHD source (Bluray, Xbox 360, etc) I use can be viewed in
>>> 100Hz even connected via HDMI. In the TV manual, it is wrote that it's
>>> the behaviour when PC is connected...
>>>
>> what behavior?! does the manual indicate that the 100hz mode isn't available
>> when connected to the pc output?
>
> Yes.

then you cannot have it work at 100hz.

>>> So, I deduce that my Nvidia card send a specific signal, like RVB does
>>> (I suppose other cards have the same behaviour). This signal is then
>>> "catched" by the TV and the 100Hz mode is no more available.
>>>
>> have you tried connectig to the dvi or a dvi-hdmi converter and then
>> connect it to
>> the tv?!
>
> Not yet. I only tried HDMI and VGA.

hdmi should understand the 100hz (it should send data as a normal blu-ray unit).

>>> Is there any way to switch off this signal with Xorg even with a patch ?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> RO
>> if you're sure that the mode is supported you chould force it in your
>> settings (nvidia control panel or xorg.conf).
>> beware: if you force a mode that your tv doesn't support when
>> connected to the pc then you'll most likely
>> burn the tv and/or the videoboard.
>>

> I don't think it's the right way. The TV computes the intermediates
> pictures in 100Hz mode. For example, when I read a DVD with my
> DVDplayer, the refresh rate is 50Hz (or 60) and the TV computes the
> pictures to render 100pic/sec.

well, then your tv is doubling the scan. so if you attach an hdmi
input from your pc at 50hz
you should have the same 100hz result. just attach your pc output on
hdmi and set it to whatever
your board detects (i think it should be 60hz or something similar)
and it should work at 100hz.

--
dott. ing. beso