intel card not working when booting on another VGA card

Matthieu Herrb matthieu.herrb at laas.fr
Wed Dec 10 01:35:51 PST 2008

strawks wrote:
> Xorg doesn't really fail to start, it just seems to mess up with the BusID
> directive.
> If I set BusID either to one or the other card with the vesa driver it will
> use the card defined as the primary adapter in the bios.

The problem is that in xserver 1.5 and later (since the conversion to
use libpciaccess), secondary cards are not enabled correctly before
accessing them. You can see them in the PCI configuration space, but you
get 0xffffffff for every register read from the card it self (and writes
are ignored).

I'm currently working on trying to fix that, but it's not
straightforward since the old code did lots of weird things trying to
cope with bugs in early PCI bridges implementations too.

--
Matthieu Herrb