X server exported symbols broken

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Thu Dec 11 09:18:30 PST 2008

Peter Hutterer wrote:
> Paulo,

  Hi Peter,

> I just wasted quite some time to get master to actually start. Unresolved
> symbols all over the place, both with intel and with vesa. Vesa had
> xf86InterpretEDID, intel had three or four different ones (miPolyRectangle
> was one of them IIRC). Rebuilding with and without
> --enable/disable-visibility
> didn't change anything.

  Sorry for that problem. I pushed a new commit that should correct
this problem. The "symbol table" is required, because when linking
a binary, the linker may choose to drop "dead code", that is, code
unreachable. I will do some tests with some libtool options, but
afaik there is no way to make it not drop the symbols in the
current schema; linking a dummy binary with a libxserver.so should
work, but that probably isn't a good idea.

> Reverting all your patches up to 7c16f612dddc11ed18296609365ec4b6ffe61678
> finally fixed this, so I presume it has to do with the autogenerated
> symbol
> table. Please fix this.

  I changed the script to check for the dirname of the header
being processed also, instead of only checking if the path is
relative.

> Cheers,
>   Peter

Paulo