2D antialiasing?

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 18:07:05 PST 2008

> And that is no problem at all, until you want to throw away the glyph that
> was there before and write a new glyph in its place. And then you need to
> know what the original background behind the old glyph was, but the server
> does not have that information, and so it has to be kept in the
> application, which is precisely what Xrender was trying to avoid :-( .

Well, I guess I missed your point. What does this special use-case
have to do with antialiasing in general?
If the glyph would be not antialiased, you would have exactly the same
problem ;)

In your case you can simply "save" a copy in an additional pixmap
before you add any glyphs - and copy the stuff you need back from that
pixmap.
However I guess it isn't that easy ;)

- Clemens