X server exported symbols broken

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Fri Dec 12 22:34:12 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 11:12:38PM +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> I just wasted quite some time to get master to actually start. Unresolved
> symbols all over the place, both with intel and with vesa. Vesa had
> xf86InterpretEDID, intel had three or four different ones (miPolyRectangle
> was one of them IIRC). Rebuilding with and without --enable/disable-visibility
> didn't change anything.

I found the problem. Ubuntu (Hardy) installs mawk as default awk process, and
mawk can't deal with the /^extern[[:space:]]/ line in the sdksym.sh script, so
the symbol table is always empty. Installing gawk fixes the problem. I'm not
sure if that still affects newer Ubuntu versions, but maybe we can put a check
in for that?

Cheers,
  Peter