Let the DDX decide on the XkbRulesDefaults.

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Dec 16 22:25:15 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 05:17:19PM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 09:17:13PM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 07:52 +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> > > XkbSetRulesDflts only sets some internal defaults but doesn't actually use
> > > them much. XkbInitKeyboardDeviceStruct then calls XkbGetRulesDftls which
> > > returns either the ones set by the DDX, or the defaults. A DDX that doesn't
> > > have set the rules simply defaults to the built-in ones.
> >
> > Thanks. I'll merge those changes in to 1.6 then. Just making sure we
> > wouldn't be breaking non-xfree86-based servers.
>
> You can if you want, but I don't really see the point.  The way drivers
> do RMLVO configuration right now is to call XkbSetRulesDflts and then
> XkbInitKeyboardDeviceStruct, which picks up those 'defaults'.  Awesome.

The point was the gnome keycode issue which keeps reappearing.
Setting the keymap to evdev by the DDX initially means gnome picks up the
right keymap and doesn't give us pretty screenshots each time we hit "up".
And we need the DDX to set it, because that's the only entity that knows
whether we will have evdev lateron (AEI is on) or will stick to kbd (AEI is
off).

Cheers,
  Peter