very bad, and very weird, scrolling text performance xorg 1.5.3 intel 2.5.1 GM965

Lukas Hejtmanek xhejtman at ics.muni.cz
Wed Dec 17 06:35:26 PST 2008

> I'm not sure what's the bottleneck for the intel driver at this point,
> the radeon driver easily gets 500k/s and beyond (which is still a far
> cry from the numbers you measured, but already seems to mostly avoid it
> being any practical limitation). Some of it may just be down to the
> hardware (memory bandwidth, shader units etc.).

The ATI Technologies Inc M24GL [Mobility FireGL V3200] rev 128 card can do:
32000000 reps @   0.0002 msec (6420000.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line
(Charter 10)
32000000 reps @   0.0002 msec (6430000.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line
(Charter 10)
32000000 reps @   0.0002 msec (6330000.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line
(Charter 10)
32000000 reps @   0.0002 msec (6440000.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line
(Charter 10)
32000000 reps @   0.0002 msec (6440000.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line
(Charter 10)
160000000 trep @   0.0002 msec (6410000.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line
(Charter 10)

using 6.9.0 open source ati driver. So the intel performance is quite poor
right now.

--
Lukáš Hejtmánek