Modeline autoadjusting problem

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Thu Dec 18 13:34:11 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 03:47:23PM -0500, Marc Ferland wrote:
> Seems like the modeline is adjusted by the driver _even_ if I specified the
> LVDSFixedMode "false" option. I really don't know what to do next... How can
> I force my modeline to the driver?

You can't.  Looking at the code, there is no way to tell the system
you know what you're doing.  ->mode_fixup is called unconditionally,
and i830_lvds_mode_fixup has no toggle to switch itself off.  That
mode fixup function takes lvds_fixed_mode as gospel, and seems to do
part of the chipset programming, so you can't just disable it anyway.
Strange.  lvds_fixed_mode itself can only come from bios or ddc, not
config from what I can see.

It's weird there isn't a generic high level way to tell X not to trust
the roms and trust the config instead, when it comes to modelines,
dpi, things like that.

  OG.