X12

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Dec 19 05:24:54 PST 2008

Le Ven 19 décembre 2008 10:35, Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen a écrit :

> Ah, I see.  The problem is when there is something outside the
> application that wants to change the current locale of the
> application.

Not at all. A German user most definitely does not want the German
menus to change to Latin when he writes some Latin quote.

The problem is there is a need of a generic cross-desktop-session way
for the user to tell the computer "here is the language I am
inputing", with some coupling to the current xkb layout or input
method, and a way for apps to be informed of the current user choice
so they load the right spellchecking module, the right font rendering
module, tag the text with the right language for document formats that
support language tagging, etc.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot