Trying to use Radeon driver on Apple eMac

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 01:47:25 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 2:48 AM, Kerry Hall <kerryhall at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Alex!
>
> Yes, this is another 1.25 Ghz eMac, with a Radeon 9200. I need to compile
> the ATI driver from git? What version of the driver would this be, and how
> do I compile it? I tried the Connector Table option and the Modelines from
> the eMac thread. I tried them all in various combinations, with none of them
> working. Do I need BOTH the bleeding edge ATI driver and the modeline and
> connectortable options?

well, assuming your eMac is wired up the same way (Joseph's eMac has a
radeon 7500), the current code in ati git should just work.  If it's
wired up differently or has an EDID for the internal monitor we'll
need to make some changes.  So if you want to use the driver from git:
1. install the xorg header packages from your distro
2. install git-core
3. git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati
4. cd xf86-video-ati
5. ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
6. make
7. (as root) make install

It should autodetect your mac and do the right thing.  If not, add:
Option "MacModel" "emac"
to the device section of your config.

To use your current driver:
grab the xorg,conf from Joseph's site:
http://www.funsitelots.com/pub/xorg_emacG4_working/

if neither works, Can you send me the output of
/proc/cpuinfo?  then try the following (from earlier in this thread):
Try the following option and let me know which combinations work:
Option "ConnectorTable" "i,1,0,1,j,2,0,1"
where i and j are one of the following:
96, 100, 104, or 108
and i != j.
and send me one of the logs with the option enabled.

Alex