Intel graphics benchmarked by Phoronix

Michael Larabel michael.larabel at phoronix.com
Tue Dec 23 09:51:40 PST 2008

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Devin Heitmueller wrote:

>>> That test is wrong.  You don't compare different drivers on different
>>> distros.  You compare them on the same distro.  Now I get to say that
>>> it's not the driver that is slower, but it's the newer Ubuntu version
>>> that slows it down.
>>>
>>> They should learn to benchmark :P  And they should learn to also name
>>> the benchmarks appropriately (that it compares performance of two Ubuntu
>>> versions rather than Intel driver versions.)
>>>
>> [...]
>> Is it the Xorg team's perspective that, "we'll only look into huge
>> performance regressions if you first do all the work to prove that the
>> huge slowdown cannot be anything but the Xorg stack?"
>>
>> I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I think burying your head in
>> the sand until you are given 100% proof that it's the Intel driver may
>> not be the best approach here.
>>

> Well, it's certainly possible that the driver became that much slower.
> But doing the benchmark right would be so easy, yet Phoronix didn't do
> it.  All I need to do here, is simply remove the old driver and install
> the new one and re-run the benchmark.  Everything else stays the same.
> Dead easy.  Yet Phoronix didn't do it.  Hopefully someone here with an
> Intel GPU can do it better.

The original intent of this testing was going to be for an Ubuntu 8.10
vs. Ubuntu 9.04 development article, however, after seeing these Intel
performance regressions, those graphics results were then published.
It's clearly mentioned in that article that these were the results from
the stock packages of Ubuntu 8.10 and the Jaunty repo as of Dec 18.

As is stated in the article, once the various packages (kernel, X Server
1.6, et al) near a point of stability, they'll all be tested properly
and built from source in a vanilla configuration with all other
variables remaining the same.

Best Regards,
Michael Larabel