[ANN] intel 965 manuals released under Creative Commons

Maxim Levitsky maximlevitsky at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 09:10:54 PST 2008

On Friday, 1 February 2008 17:36:13 Jason wrote:
> Announcement here [1], Download files here [2], article here [3].
>
> Jason.
>
> [1] - http://intellinuxgraphics.com/index.html
> [2] - http://intellinuxgraphics.com/documentation.html
> [3] -
> http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/roundup/15988/intel-releases-programming-docs-graphics-chips

All I can say is, thanks.
I own one of the first modern GPUs that have full documentation publicly available.
Thus really, intel is 'leap ahead'

Although I am sure that AMD caused this to happen, I don't yet believe that AMD
will release all documentation, because up to day, they released almost nothing,
but I hope they will, and maybe even nvidia will follow, so big thanks to AMD for starting this.

I have an nvidia card, but now I probably will use (at least test) the
intel chip on the board lot more (DG965RY motherboard).

There are now only 3 devices that I don't have drivers and/or docs:

1 - the nvidia card -

<rant>
this thing is going straight to the trash...
But before that I will take hammer, and breake it into little pieces.
Although this isn't that bad card (Geforce 7600)
</rant>

Of course I will donate the nvidia card to nouveau project, when AMD releases the full documentation,
or intel makes a faster o/b chip (lets face it, the intel chips aren't fast).
Although maybe I will use it even today, since the compiz does work almost perfectly under it,
and this release I guess will make the 'almost' vanish.
I probably will help too, since I like to read datasheets, and talk directly to hardware.

2- the IDE controller , marvel 88SE6101) - it has minimal open source driver, and it works flawlessly,
but like I said the docs are closed, and driver doesn't use the features of device, but instead puts it into
'legacy mode'

2- the QST, 'We are working on it...' and probably intel will work on this forever....
I mean I don't see the hardware sensors because the intel still didn't release the docs about it.
the recently published HECI driver is only a driver for controller that talks to the firmware,
but there is no docs on 'how to talk to it'.
And besides there is no docs about the HECI.

I wish intel did release this, I need this more that I need docs for the intel graphics chip.

Thats all,
	Regards,
		Maxim Levitsky