Performance issue on xf86-video-nv-2.1.6

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Sun Feb 3 12:16:07 PST 2008

Hi all,

I seem to be encountering a performance issue with the "nv" driver
when using it with Firefox 2. When scrolling on a page with a moderate
amount of Javascript (eg: http://www.xwiki.org/), the XOrg-server process
will consume almost all the CPU, and the screen display slows to a
crawl.

I do NOT get this problem on another machine running the same
operating system, but with the "intel" driver.

I have tried adding:
  Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"

But that does not have any effect on the performace. However, the
following options:
  Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
  Option ""MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"

does improve the performance tremendously; but the at the cost of a
corrupted display in various portions of the screen.

I would welcome any other suggestions for a workaround, or even a
mention that someone is aware of this problem and is working on a fix.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>