Display system diagrams/description

Richard Goedeken SirRichard at fascinationsoftware.com
Thu Feb 7 17:16:29 PST 2008

Thanks for the slide deck.  I also found some good information here:

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Documentation
http://dri.sourceforge.net/doc/design_low_level.html

Some of it's not current anymore though.  The reason I asked about this is that
I kept seeing non-deterministic behaviors when testing and rebuilding the driver
stack, and it's due to a lack of understanding about how everything works
together and the dependencies between the components.  For example, I wasted a
lot of time before finding out that:

* Both 2D and 3D drivers have a dependency on header files installed by the DRM
* The 3D drivers (mesa) have a dependency in the configure script on the
pkgconfig file generated by DRM
* libGL.so may load the _dri.so library from a different place than X

The build/install process descriptions on the DRI and intellinuxgraphics pages
are greatly helpful and appreciated, but it might be nice to also collect this
sort of dependency information somewhere also, so that advanced testers will
know how to build individual components properly and achieve deterministic results.

Richard