Force xorg-video-intel to use Modeline 1080p

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sat Feb 9 22:29:37 PST 2008

On 2008-02-09 21:04-0800 Stefan Keir Gordon wrote:

> The intel driver (apparently) refuses to use my modeline, resorting either
> to a default resolution or the EDID resolutions.

In the Display subsection, modes are entirely ignored by the Intel driver
in my experience.

With the Intel driver I find the only way I can set the mode from xorg.conf
rather than the xrandr application (xrandr might actually be a better option
for you if you are going to change to a projector on the fly) is to use
Option "PreferredMode".  Here is an example from my own xorg.conf (all in
the Monitor section).

Modeline "1024x768_85.00"  94.39  1024 1088 1200 1376  768 769 772 807
-HSync +Vsync
Option "PreferredMode" "1024x768_85.00"

I then get 1024x768 with an eye-soothing 85 Hz vertical refresh for my CRT
monitor.  Without the above I get a mode chosen semi-randomly by RandR with
a 60Hz vertical refresh that gives me an instant headache.

BTW, I calculated the above modeline with "gtf 1024 768 85".

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).