garbage in xterm

pcpa at mandriva.com.br pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Tue Feb 12 18:54:43 PST 2008

Quoting "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed at reedmedia.net>:

> I have had a problem for at least 1.5 years where I sometimes get junk
> in an xterm. It overwrites but I can still see previous text.
>
> Here is an example from a minute ago:
> 	http://www.reedmedia.net/~reed/tmp-lksfhckgjh/J.png
> (That xterm had scrolling data.)

  I think it is a problem elsewhere. Yesterday Paulo Zanoni told me in
irc a similar (maybe the same) problem could have been fixed by commit
32666d77227fcd2c066de16bf3c07366f92b0457
  But I am using a X Server with that commit and still have these problems.
  If you are using a X Server that can use the vga driver, you will notice
even worse corruption when using the vga driver.
  The corruption I have been experiencing for quite some time is using
windowmaker, and when switching virtual consoles, windows will override
each other, popup menus will restore background contents at random
offsets, etc.
  The problem only happens when switching virtual desktops, i.e. pressing
Alt+1, Alt+2, etc.

> This has happened with different versions of the Xorg server, different
> video drivers and xterms. Also on different hardware (i386 and amd64)
> running slightly different NetBSD versions.
>
> I think it used to happen with xf86-video-wsfb.
>
> Currently I have using from pkgsrc on NetBSD/amd64 4.0_RC4:
>
> xf86-video-vesa-1.3.0nb1
> modular-xorg-server-1.3.0.0nb3
> xterm-229  (I see there are newer xterm versions for me to try)

  I noticed this problem with ati and vesa drivers, but not with nvidia
and fglrx proprietary drivers. Did not test others.

>  Jeremy C. Reed

Paulo