GPL3 Re: packaging

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Feb 13 16:28:46 PST 2008

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> I may have fallen off on a curve, here, but if the issue is "does using
> a GPLd tar utility to package our non-GPL package have any effect at
> all on its licensing?", I'm pretty sure the answer is "no".

I'm 100% sure the answer is "no".

The GPL has to end somewhere and to take this to it's logical conclusion
it would effectively state that writing a document in a GPL word
processor would mean that the docs you write in it would also have to be
GPL... or a GPL IDE to write programs that are non GPL etc.....  neither
of which is the case (unless I've *really* misinterpreted things!)

Col