State of X - Google Tech Talk

Harald Braumann harry at unheit.net
Thu Feb 14 03:08:05 PST 2008

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:51:59 +0200
Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 03:44:29PM +0900, Thomas Fritzsche wrote:
> > On Feb 14, 2008 8:46 AM, Harald Braumann <harry at unheit.net> wrote:
> > > But even as a frequent reader of this list it is hard to follow
> > > the development of all the new and shiny things done in and
> > > around X. Until smth has been released, information about what's
> > > going on is scattered on multiple mailing lists, irc channels,
> > > devs' personal blogs, etc. Also dedicated news sites of some
> > > projects are usually updated enthusiastically only for a short
> > > time after they have been set up.
> >
> > Something like a weekly newsletter that close the gap between
> > developers and users would be cool. I just guess it's a larger
> > effort?
Yeah, would be cool, but I think such an attempt is futile,
because you would need all the devs to participate regularly or someone
with a lot of time who does nothing but hanging out on irc, reading
mailing lists and tracking git repositories. Neither is very
likely. So instead of trying something that is doomed to fail, the
path of least resistance should be taken, which is IMHO that people
drop a line about what they are doing whenever they feel like it and
to let them know, that this would be very much appreciated.

> To be honest, there's not even that much going on week to week.  Most
> of us are kept pretty busy by our day jobs (looking at the core server
> developers, we've variously been hacking on the Linux kernel, doing
> various fixes for an enterprise Linux distribution, working on a
> particular driver, etc), so xorg-commit is low-traffic enough to
> peruse if you're interested.
Maybe true for xorg-core. But I try e.g. to track whats going on with
radeon in combination with kernel mode-setting, ttm, dri2, gallium3d,
etc. Not an easy task.

> Cheers,
> Daniel
Regards,