Fade in/Fade out of a window with XRender and Xcomposite

Pierre Nicolas-Nicolaz dnanar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 05:45:15 PST 2008

2008/2/19, Carlos Eduardo Rodrigues Diógenes <cerdiogenes at yahoo.com.br>:
> I think that Cairo Composite Manager can be interesting for you:
> http://cairo-compmgr.tuxfamily.org/
>
> It just do what you want. Add eye candies effects to an existing window manager.

Yes, i first tried to use an existing compositing manager, but the
problem is that only a few do a fade on some windows (and not on all
the windows), and those who do what I would like to are not compatible
with ratpoison (Cairo Composite Manager does not work with ratpoison,
i've got a black screen, and when ratpoison tries to Map/Unmap a
window, the screen is blinking instead of fading, then the black
screen reappears...)

Anyway, i'm trying to understand how cairo composite manager works, to
try to know how to use XRender/XComposite/Cairo.