Intel G35 Chipset with Onkyo TX-SR875 Receiver and HDMI Out

Rajesh Balan rajesh at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Feb 22 06:13:39 PST 2008

I have the ASUS P5E-VM-HDMI chipset with the Intel G35 chipset and Intel
HDA audio. I'm using debian unstable with kernel 2.6.24 and latest git
sources for the xorg intel graphics driver and the latest mercurial
sources for the intel hda alsa audio driver.

I have the following issues.

1) I can't seem to get X working when I connect the HDMI output of the
ASUS to my Onkyo TX-SR875 receiver. I've attached my xorg.conf and full
debug Xorg.log outputs.

for reference, the 1280x720 mode in xorg.conf works when I connect the
output directly to my samsung 42 inch plasma directly (model PS42C9H).
It just gives a green screen when connected to the receiver. I've tried
fiddling with various modes (1024x768, 1080p, etc.) but nothing seems to
work.

any suggestions or sample xorg.conf files or modelines that I can try?

I can get output through the receiver when using the base console mode
(the one you get if you boot without any vga=x options).

2) When connected directly to the tv, there are overscan issues. I can
fix this by setting a mode on the tv to go from 16:9 format to "just
scan". but this needs to be done every time I boot. I've tried playing
with smaller resolutions (like 1225x672) and that helps but does not
eliminate the problem. what can I do to fix this?

my tv dimensions are also reported wrongly. But i've corrected for this
with the appropriate DisplaySize setting.

3) I enabled HDMI audio out using the latest (1.16) alsa drivers. for
both direct to tv and via the receiver connections, audio plays
flawlessly if the x server is not started. i.e., in console mode. On the
receiver, pure audio mode is even selectable and plays flawlessly.

however, if the x server is running, the moment I enable the hdmi audio
device (iec 1 in alsamixer), the screen starts flickering and I lose
signal every now and then. I don't even need to play anything. I just
need to unmute the iec device. if I play something, it pauses everytime
signal is lost.

any suggestions for resolving this? It seems to be some wierd
interaction between the intel driver, xorg, and alsa.

Rajesh