[ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-ati 6.8.0

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 09:06:52 PST 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Gilles Dartiguelongue
<gilles.dartiguelongue at esiee.org> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
>  I'm quite happy to say this release works pretty well. I have one tiny
>  little complaint though. I have a dual head setup with r200 and two
>  identical screens, one connected to DVI and the other to VGA output.
>  The card also has a S-video output.
>
>  The thing is that, when I start gdm, the behavior is correct, mouse can
>  move at will on both screens, but as soon as I log in gnome (2.20.3),
>  DVI head shuts down and I'm back in single screen mode. Manually setting
>  the layout with:
>
>  xrandr --output DVI-0 --auto --left-of VGA-0
>
>  works. If I use xrandr --auto, it goes in clone mode. On a maybe related
>  note, when I use totem to play a video and put it in fullscreen, it
>  makes the server go back in single head mode as well while it's not the
>  case with mplayer. Somebody told me it might have something to do with
>  changing resolution.
>
>  Anyway, I've tested the intel driver as well and at least it doesn't
>  fallback in single head mode with totem so I guess there is a real bug
>  here :) I've attached xorg.conf and xrandr --verbose output. Hope this
>  helps.

If you used the gnome X resolution gui, it's not randr 1.2 compliant
and it saves it's configuration and resets it when you log in.  The
gconf keys are /desktop/gnome/screen/$hostname/$screennum/.  if you
remove them, that should fix your problem.

Alex