Xorg 7.4 release plan

zhengyi goodmenzy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 23:08:55 PST 2008

Being a Newbie, I wan't to say some words( sorry, may be stupid ):

I don't think include many driver packages is a good idea.
Hardware fades out more speedly than software.

I think it is reasonable that the X system just provide the core
functionalities(the forced modules).
All the drivers will appear in the "Driver modules"(An optional module).
Different users can download the different driver module according to
their hardware platform.

OK, something like PCI AGP system is more general than concrete videocard.
A middle level of "Bus module" can be developped to help the
driver developpers.

In other words, my suggestion is build the X system like the whole Linux OS:
X core module     <---------> Linux Kernel
X driver modules  <---------> kinds of Linux utils and apps

So you can choose different "driver module" packages just
like you choose different Linux distribution.

It just a newbie's opinion, don't laugh at me, please.