10-50% CPU used by xorg?

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Wed Feb 27 19:14:03 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 11:45 -0800, Eric Anholt wrote:

> EXA is bound to be slow on 965 until we land the render fixes
> (currently
> sitting on intel-batchbuffer, but we could probably just cherry-pick
> them out since they're orthogonal to the batchbuffer work).  But if
> you're seeing issues on 915 or earlier, the only improvement we're
> expecting to see is from TTM-backed buffers, which might help if
> you're
> limited by migration (or might not).
>
> If you're seeing performance issues on 915 or earlier, profile now
> because there's a good chance that what you're seeing doesn't have a
> fix
> in the pipeline.

OK. I've done a bit of reading on oprofile. Apparently I have to have
'things' compiled with debugging symbols. Can someone please provide a
list of relevant 'things'? *Everything* on my system is compiled without
debugging symbols, but I'll fix that if someone gives me a list.

I assume I'll need:

- glibc
- xserver
- libpixman