documentation on intel driver behavior?

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Fri Feb 29 10:18:59 PST 2008

On Friday, February 29, 2008 12:59 am Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 16:55 -0800, Eric Anholt wrote:
> > For vblank syncing, we wait for vblank before emitting that copy.
> > Note that we're not doing anything about guaranteeing that that
> > copy happens in any set amount of time.  We just assume that the
> > hardware will get to it fast enough (and that we were woken up to
> > do this soon enough) that no tearing occurs.
>
> Nice writeup Eric, I'd just like to add that with drm Git, the 3D
> driver can also schedule buffer swaps to be executed by the DRM at an
> arbitrary vertical blank period. This mechanism uses a tasklet to
> mostly eliminate tearing even with several contexts running
> concurrently.

Yeah, the tasklet stuff is really nice.  I wonder if it's something that
could be made into mostly generic code (ala vblank rework) so that
other drivers could use it?  I guess that would mean a generic drm
ioctl for it along with a chunk of generic code for handling the
tasklets; I'm not sure how much code it would save on the driver side,
but if it's significant the effort of porting it to the core may be
worth it.

Jesse