Few questions about key grabbing and key placement.

Edward Tomasz Napierala trasz at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 3 09:42:34 PST 2008

I'd like to make X deliver keyboard input to my application, even when
it doesn't have focus.  Currently I'm using XGrabKey, but it doesn't
work with GNOME - XGrabKey fails for some reason, I guess because some
other application already grabbed the keyboard.  I didn't check KDE;
it works fine in my minimal environment with XTerms and WindowMaker.

Is there any way to grab keys that won't interfere with other
applications?

Second question: is there any way to translate keycode I get from GTK+
event (or X11 event) to the position of the key on the keyboard?  I'm
not really interested in keycap label, keyboard position ("third key
from the left, bottom row", for example) is what I need.

Thanks :-)

--
If you cut off my head, what would I say?  Me and my head, or me and my body?