Direct passive framebuffer support?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Fri Jan 4 05:46:08 PST 2008

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to set up a passive framebuffer, i.e. a
framebuffer for which I don't have to explicitely tell which parts have
been updated.  DGA for instance was providing this perfectly, but it's
not available any more and I can't find a replacement, except reusing
mplayer's vidix code...

The idea is in a virtualized environment to have guest systems directly
write in the frame buffer without having to detect accesses by trapping
or memcmping.

Is there a way to do this, maybe by using a GL texture or something like
this?

Samuel