IS BIOS CHIP in vga card Essential for Xorg to run ??

mahendra varman mahendravarman15 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 08:32:44 PST 2008

Hi all

Iam using a PMC graphics card of siliconmotion SM722 on a base board with
powerpc processor.

In the card the BIOS chip is not mounted...

My query is

Is the  BIOS chip essential for  Xorg to run  ( to enable  screen on vga )
??

                 Becaz as there is no BIOS chip, what i have done is i have
put UseBIOS = false option and i wrote my own init code to init the sm722 in
a basic graphic mode( in this basic grap mode the screen is powered up and
displays some junks in screen) and then i run xorg  Iam getting cannot read
V_BIOS as error but other section of log file is clean......But screen is
not powered up..

I have attached the log file

Please anybody help/answer me to sort out the issue...

Thanks