A strange problem

sshachar at t2.technion.ac.il sshachar at t2.technion.ac.il
Sat Jan 5 10:20:17 PST 2008

Hi All,

First, my issue:
I am running the latest stable Debian Xorg (7.1) on an embedded system. Lately
I've been seeing the following strange phenomenon: sporadically, it seems, some
X clients won't load. They seem to be stuck on a server socket until it times
out. I see this quite often for instance when running gnome-temrinal. Running
plain old xterm works when this happens, and it doesn't happen on every reboot
or X restart.

My current thoughts, maybe you can help illuminate this a bit:

My first thought was that it might have something to do with the fact I am not
running Xorg in the usual way (say with gdm), rather by running startx manually
as root. Could this be related? Should I avoid running X this way for any reason
at all?

Another thing I'm doing which is unusual is declaring a depth of 32. My driver
supports this to force alpha to be supported on the onscreen surface which I
later use in a series of HW compositions. I can't see why this should be a
problem btu i thought i'd mention it anyway.

strace'ing seemed to suggest it's a socket thing. Some posts on lists and around
the web linked this possibly to kernel (2.6.10) ipv6 (some suggest enabling it
and some disabling it...). rings any bells to anyone?

Is there a tool I could use to analyze X traffic and perhaps zoom in closer on
the error?

Thanks a lot,