Status on AMD Drivers?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 12:41:04 PST 2008

Thank you for the fast response!

> We do not have sufficient information at the moment to acceptably
> detect a dvi->hdmi dongle or a dvi->component dongle. We also do not
> have all the necessary bits to support the TV encoder at this time.

The board I'm using as my reference is:
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2547

I'm not sure if the Component output is actually through a DVI
interface or not, but I thought I'd just point out the board I'm
stalking ;)

> I hope that in time we will get there, but right now it is not a big
> priority, especially since after the initial driver startup phase in
> august, all talk of TV died off as all initial requests for more
> information on it were left unanswered. Only recently is this being
> brought up again.

As a non-developer is there anything I can do?  Send emails, write
letters, setup a tent outside someone's home...  to get more
information from AMD/ATI?

> All we have now is some vague and unproven idea of where the tv encoder
> would slot in in the r5xx/r6xx modesetting model, and that we need to
> fully depend on at least one atombios call to properly set it up.
> Chances are that we will not get sufficient information for anything
> beyond that.

Vague and unproven sounds good, it sounds as if something might
eventually be there someday at some undetermined time in the future.

> As for HDMI, we are working with one of suse alsa developers to see what
> needs to happen to get the sound working properly. If it really is as
> simple as the rather obscure description in the documentation seems to
> be (check for yourself, it is in the CNTL of digital blocks), all we
> need to do is be able to find out whether this is a monitor which is
> capable of accepting hdmi audio.
>
> If you do not need hdmi audio, then it should just work.

Sweet, for most uses this should be enough.  But for something like
Blue-Ray to actually find it's way onto Linux I would think HDMI audio
will eventually be necessary?

> Luc Verhaegen.
> SUSE/Novell X Driver Developer.

Thanks again,