Intel G35 / X3500 video tearing

Ryan Melena ryan.melena at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 21:03:37 PST 2008

I've recently set up a system built on an ASUS P5E-VM HDMI motherboard
running Ubuntu 7.10 and I'm experiencing some very noticeable tearing
during video playback with mplayer.  I have read some discussion about
video tearing with other Intel chipsets in the mailing list a while
back but hadn't heard much about it lately.  I've experimented with
both xv and gl video output as well as trying vblank_mode=3 in my dri
conf but have not been able to eliminate the problem.  Using xv video
output with vblank_mode=3 seems to deliver the best results but
tearing is still very noticeable and relatively frequent.

Is this a known problem, and if so, is there a ticket issued that I
could use to track progress?  I would be happy to provide any
information that might be of use or test any proposed solutions.

Thanks!