new 'xvmc' branch of intel video driver

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 11:26:43 PST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 9:40 AM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>  > Colin Guthrie wrote:
>  > > R. G. Newbury wrote
>  > > And startx fails with this message:
>  > >
>  > > (II) LoadModule: "intel"
>  > > (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//drivers/intel_drv.so
>  > > (II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
>  > >          compiled for 1.4.99.1, module version = 2.2.0
>  > >          Module class: X.Org Video Driver
>  > >          ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 3.0
>  > > (EE) module ABI major version (3) doesn't match the server's
> version (1)
>  > > (II) UnloadModule: "intel"
>  > > (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//drivers/intel_drv.so
>  > > (EE) Failed to load module "intel" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
>  > >
>  > > "Module requirement mismatch"
>  > >
>  > > So I am clearly attempting to load the correct (new) driver (1.4.99.1
>  > > for 2.2.0), but which/what server is it (not) finding.
>
>  > The top of your log file would probably point that you are using your
>  > original X binary - unless it alos reports 1.4.99.1 then something is
>  > mismatched.
>
>  > FWIW, I would have compiled everything with a --prefix configure
>  > option outside of your /usr tree.... (e.g. --prefix=/opt/newx). YOu
>  > would have needed to set PKGCONFIG_DIR (or something like that) so
>  > that subsequent configures/compiles will find previously
>  > configured/compiled stuff but that's easy enough.
>
> I am not near that machine, so I cannot check the log, but I would think
> that it would not be using the old X binary as it should have been
> overwritten by the new one.
> I did build the whole thing outside of the usr tree, following the
> instructions on the X.org wiki. The build script was amended to prepend
>   the correct path to the script, and the prefix was set also, so
> everything got built at (as it happens) /video2/temp/tmp/modular. The
> source was at ..../tmp/src. Modular's folders were actually rsync'd over
> the /usr folders using -avu

Unfortunately, it's not so easy. There are lots of paths built into
various binaries and libraries in Xorg that are derived from --prefix.
Personally, I think it would be easier if you just left it in
.../tmp/modular and directed the system to use that Xorg. Running the
modular build is discussed at the end of the wiki page:

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide

Basically, LD_LIBRARY_PATH + startx the path to Xorg. You might even
be able to get it to integrate nicely with your current system by
replacing the /usr/bin/X symlink to point to your new Xorg and adding
.../tmp/modular/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf (on Linux). Overwriting the
files in /usr will probably not work unless you also built with
--prefix=/usr.

--
Dan