New guy with Intel 965 issues

Matt Bailey dabigboy at cox.net
Mon Jan 14 21:25:48 PST 2008

Hi all, just joined the list here. I'm putting a fresh install of Slackware 12
on a Toshiba laptop (L45-S7423) with the Intel 965 chipset. I downloaded the
latest (2.2.0) drivers at http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/
driver/ which compiled fine on the machine. I then edited my xorg.conf file
to use the new driver and was able to run X just fine. Trouble is, I'm still
stuck with indrect OpenGL rendering via Mesa. Here's a quick run-down of
things I've checked:

1. GLX and DRI are both enabled in xorg.conf

2. In the video device section of xorg.conf, I set "intel"

3. I uncommented the last bit of xorg.conf where DRI permissions are set
(0666)

4. lsmod indicates that intel_agp, agpart, drm, and i915 are all loaded

The only weirdness I can see is a bunch of messages from the i915 module in
dmesg, they all start with "Unknown symbol:" and then list things like
"drm_open", "drm_release", "drm_pci_free", etc.

Any ideas? FWIW, my Xorg server version is 1.3.0.0.

Matt Bailey