evdev-1.2.0 / hal-0.5.10 combo broken?

Sascha Hlusiak saschahlusiak at arcor.de
Fri Jan 18 02:06:24 PST 2008

> >   Other issue is that there is no full integration with configuration
> > from xorg.conf, and to make things worse, hal configuration code doesn't
> > know about xorg.conf configuration code, and both do "its own thing"
> > when starting the X Server, i.e. frequently 2 instances of the same
> > module or 2 different modules handling the same device.
>
> Can you please show me where this ever happens?  evdev was specifically
> designed to avoid this, and I'd like to see some proof of it going
> wrong.  I've seen it go badly wrong when Ubuntu merged a patch from some
> derivative distro whose name I forget (maybe it was PepperPad) that
> broke evdev, but that's it.
If people have their mouse device in the xorg.conf (using /dev/input/mice for
example) hal will add the mouse again with the /dev/input/event* device,
resulting in two modules handling the same device.

If people remove the mouse from the xorg.conf, it results in the x-server to
add the default mouse device, which is /dev/input/mice again!

After adding the (in current stable) undocumented
Option  "AllowEmptyInput" "true", X-Server will stop adding default mouse and
keyboard and you can live with a hal-only setup. To most users I recommend
adding the (in current stable) undocumented Option "AutoAddDevices" to stop
that conflict that both hal AND xorg-server add input devices which is
probably not what users wants. I'd like to see AllowEmptyInput to be a
default and to have an opt-out instead of an opt-in that nobody knows about
but is needed to make things work right. The default behaviour is not good in
my eyes.

Quite some users on the gentoo mailinglist compained about single button
clicks reported as double clicks because of that.

Gentoo Hal adds the touchpad with the evdev driver instead of the synaptics
driver, making the touchpad report absolute coordinates instead of relative.
This is rather a hal or gentoo bug than xorg. To achieve this, the user needs
to be a hal fdi policy ninja to stop hal from adding touchpads or he just
completely disables adding devices by xorg.

Sascha