modular -> monolithic

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Sun Jan 20 20:02:45 PST 2008

From: "Dave Airlie" <airlied at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:30:45 +1000

> On Jan 21, 2008 11:11 AM, Stephane Marchesin
> <marchesin at icps.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:
> > Yeah, but the kernel is also packed with full-time contributors. X.org
> > OTOH uses lots of volunteers, I think the situation is very different,
> > and I don't think applying the kernel model could work here.
>
> I pointed out to you earlier why this argument doesn't make sense, the
> kernel hasn't always had the number of full-timers it does now and
> still used the same model and it also has possibly 100x the number of
> drivers we have.. so I can't say this argument makes any sense..

I'm too am quite curious why some folks harp on this lack of full-time
contributors argument.  It's the first thing that tends to be brought
up when anyone dares to say that the Xorg development quality might be
due to some other reason (heaven forbid that be true!)

It's absolutely not an excuse for bad engineering practices,
and that's what we have here.