stripping off "xf86-*-" from drivers

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Jan 21 04:44:19 PST 2008

> When people have been using vesa for months, for lack of a proper
> driver, or when people have just bought a new graphics card, their only
> option suddenly becomes to upgrade the whole X server stack.

Whole or just server core code/drivers ? I don't see the libraries
changing each time ?

> Surely that can not be what we force people to do, every time.

The kernel model here is that we do exactly that. Vendors with customers
who are sensitive to this do backporting. They bear the cost not the
community. People even roll "kernel of the day" type packages for testing.

Bandwidth is cheap and there are other solutions to the bandwidth problem
if need be.

Alan