modular -> monolithic

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Mon Jan 21 16:31:33 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 03:10 -0800, David Miller wrote:
> From: Michel Dänzer <michel at tungstengraphics.com>
> Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:03:42 +0100
>
> > 'Significant parts of the tree' meaning unmaintained drivers? I'm not
> > sure I see how that keeps anyone from contributing.
>
> New contributor asks "How do I build the Xorg tree from GIT?"
>
> New contributor finds modular build instructions on the wiki.
>
> New contributor checks out all GIT trees using up all of his bandwidth
> for an hour or so.
>
> New contributor follows instructions, uses build.sh script, after a
> full day of building on his slow computer the build fails in the
> middle in a mysterious way.

This is why I think we should remove the existing modular build
instructions.

If a user is asking "how do I build every xorg module?", they're doing
it wrong.  But when they ask "how do I get updated xorg bits?", we're
answering "here's how you build every xorg module", when we should be
telling them "install xorg from your distro, then build server and video
driver".

> "Ivory tower" Xorg developers are annoyed that yet another stupid
> question is asked on the xorg lists about a build.sh build failure.
>
> > > Several drivers were build failing for more than a year.
> >
> > That indicates little interest in those drivers. Did you actually
> > need them?
>
> You totally miss the point.
>
> If you think it's OK to leave drivers unbuildable for more than a
> year, that's a serious problem.

If nobody uses the driver, sure.  You only cared because we told you to
build the whole mess of code, which was our fault for doing so.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com