modular -> monolithic

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 16:48:03 PST 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 4:31 PM, Eric Anholt <eric at anholt.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 03:10 -0800, David Miller wrote:
> >
> > If you think it's OK to leave drivers unbuildable for more than a
> > year, that's a serious problem.
>
> If nobody uses the driver, sure.  You only cared because we told you to
> build the whole mess of code, which was our fault for doing so.

I've been thinking for some time that it would be nice to mark some of
the drivers as "unmaintained", similar to the "deprecated" modules.
Clearly, some of the drivers (input-elo2300, etc.) are not being kept
up to date with changes in the server. It would be nice to know which
drivers have no current maintainer, and, hence, are probably going to
be broken.

This would at least tell users that they shouldn't bother with those
drivers (the scripts could be changed to skip them, too, until they
become "maintained" again). And if someone is relying on that driver
working, then at least it is clear to them that it's probably gonna be
broken and they better write (or pay someone else to write) some
patches for it.

Not a real solution, but at least people can know what's going on and
not just suppose that the status quo will carry on indefinitely.

--
Dan