modular -> monolithic

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Jan 22 13:32:12 PST 2008

Le mardi 22 janvier 2008 à 12:42 -0800, Alan W. Irwin a écrit :
> So as top priority do what you have to do to make it
> straightforward (notice I didn't say easy) to build X _again_.

Don't be silly. It will be years before all the people that were burned
by the old resource-intensive monolithic build system dare touch X again
(says he who does not pretend to be a developer but has built test X &
kernel versions many times)

There are loads of improvements to make, and emulating Linux kernel
organisation driver-side would be smart & welcome, but the old
XFree86-inherited system was not tester friendly at all. If anything it
needs a few more stakes in its heart if it's still moving.

What Xorg needs more than a new build system is a ruthless long-term
release manager who has the authority to:
1. refuse patches that make tinderbox turn red and
2. kill old code and configurations no one actively maintains (old
drivers, non hal-input if hal is the future, etc)

Otherwise some contributors will continue to push forward, others
backwards, and the codebase will stay in the middle of the river with
users getting thoroughly soaked.

--
Nicolas Mailhot
Uninformed commenter at large